Last week Update Rollup 2 (UR2) for System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager is released. UR2 contains important fixes for SCVMM2012 R2. Here are some deployment tips for UR2:
- Wait a least couple of weeks before deploying Update Rollups in your production environment. It happens that new Update Rollups contains huge bugs and are pulled back!
- Make sure you have a backup of the SCVMM database before installing UR2
- Install the UR2 by download the VMM management server and VMM admin console packages link (or use Windows Update /WSUS to install both packages). Older packages such as UR1 does not need to be removed. In a SCVMM HA environment install UR2 first on the passive node, perform a failover and install UR2 on the other node.
- After installing UR2 update execute the SQL script listed in the KB2932926 article on the SCVMM database
- In the VMM console check the version by selecting help. The UR2 must be 3.2.7634.0.
- This step is often forgotten. In the VMM admin console perform a cluster refresh (Fabric-Cluster-Refesh). After the refresh job completes the host status is changed in “Needs Attention”. This means that the VMM agent must be updated on all the hosts.
- Update the VMM agent by right click on the host en choose “Update Agent”. No reboot of the host is required. Using PowerShell the “Update-VMMManagedComputer” cmdlet can be used to update the agent
- After the VMM agent is updated on the host check the version of the agent on the general tab on the host. The UR2 agent version must be 3.2.7634.0.
- With PowerShell you can list all the agent versions by using:
Get-VMMMangedComputer | Select Name, AgentVersion
System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012 R2 builds and versions
|3.2.7510.0||System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager RTM|
|3.2.7620.0||Update Rollup 1 (UR1)|
|3.2.7634.0||Update Rollup 2 (UR2)|
|3.2.7672.0||Update Rollup 3 (UR3)|
|3.2.7768.0||Update Rollup 4 (UR4)|
|3.2.7895.0||Update Rollup 5 (UR5)|
|3.2.8002.0||Update Rollup 6 (UR6)|
|3.2.8071.0||Update Rollup 7 (UR7)|
|3.2.8117.0||Update Rollup 8 (UR8)|
|3.2.8145.0||Update Rollup 9 (UR9)|
|3.2.8169.0||Update Rollup 10 (UR10)|
|3.2.8224.0||Update Rollup 11 (UR11)|
|3.2.8228.0||Update Rollup 11 (Hotfix 1)|
|3.2.8292.0||Update Rollup 12 (UR12)|
1 thought on “Tips for deploying SCVMM 2012 R2 Rollup 2”
We are running SCVMM in stand alone mode. How can we move it to Cluster mode?